Thursday, September 1, 2011

Left Hemisphere Stroke

The left hemishere of the brain controls the movement of the right side of the body. It also controls speech and language abilities for most people. A left hemishere stroke often causes paralysis of the right side of the body, this is know as right hemiplegia. Some people who have had a left hemishere stroke may also develop aphasia, it is when we have speech and language problems. Other problems can be becoming impaired to writing, reading and understanding speech. In contrast to survivors of right hemisphere stroke, patients who have had left hemishere stroke often develop a slow and cautious behavior style. They may need frequent instruction, feedback to complete tasks and have a shortened retention span. I have learned all of this first hand, I am a stroke survivor! I have a gimpy right hand, slow speech, numb right side of my face and I am still conquering relearning to read and write. I will beat this stroke!


The right brain handles creativity, art and music I still these, YIPPY!  I am struggling with language, reading and math... I will heal!

No comments:

Post a Comment