Monday, January 9, 2012

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

I took a while off from writing, just did not feel it, I had a block. I like sharing my thoughts on the key board to you, but I did not have anything to share. Now that the holidays are over, I can share my thoughts with you.

First, I have to express my thought on the Christmas/holiday thing... I say Merry Christmas or actually I like to say Happy Merry Christmas, why, I do not know... but why is it so bad to say Merry Christmas... I celebrate the holiday, I personally understand that Jesus was not born in December, he was actually born in the spring... but I understand that it is the time we celebrate his birth... many folks celebrate Christmas, many are not Christians or even religious at all, but the celebrate the holiday of Santa Claus and gift giving. I have co-workers who are Jewish and receive Christmas cards from them, I tell them Happy Hanukkah... all is good, I also work with Muslims and Buddhists... they do not celebrate the Christmas holiday, but they seem to be happy to wish me a Merry Christmas. I am a person to share my happiness to others when they are celebrating their holidays... Boxing Day, Ramadan, Yom Kippur, Pongal... I may not celebrate these holidays, but I am open to learn about them and caring enough to ask about the celebration... knowledge is power!
One of the reasons I enjoy attending the Universal Unitarian church is that it is very open, I am able to learn and embrace any new religions and they holidays, my children are able to learn more about the world and people other than North East Ohioans... this is special to me, I love that I will have well rounded children that will be open to other's religions and cultures.

At our house, we have dreidels, I made a menorah, which we need a new one, but I love that I have told the story of Hanukkah to my children. I do not understand some of the holidays, but they are pretty close to those to the ones I celebrate... the Hindu holiday Pongal, is very much like Thanksgiving, it is about harvest in India.



I believe with a little bit of compassion, I do not think that the elders in our lives do not have to stop saying Christmas tree and call it a "holiday tree".


I am now stepping off my holiday soap box. Good day... God bless, Shalom, , Paz, Dios te bendiga and Bog te blagoslovio.

1 comment: